Rhubarb & Honey Syrup
This syrup can be used to make delightful summer drinks (including alcoholic varieties), poured over any number of desserts to add that something special or simply to pep up porridge, yogurt or your morning muesli. It is a fantastic way to use up rhubarb when the patch down the back of the garden is producing more than you can keep up with and, being sweetened entirely with honey, it’s not as naughty as it tastes.
HUMPY CREEK RHUBARB & HONEY SYRUP
- 4 cups rhubarb
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- Stew the rhubarb in the water until it is very mushy (maybe 15 mins or so on a gentle simmer)
- Leave the stewed rhubarb to cool until it’s just luke warm
- Stir in the honey (if you want to keep all the natural goodness in the honey it’s best to not heat it over about 40 degrees celsius)
- Let the honey and rhubarb mixture sit for 15-20 mins to allow the flavours to mingle nicely
- Strain the mixture through a fine strainer
- Collect the syrup after straining
- Don’t throw out the solids, chuck them in a jar and use them as a jam!